Got weights on your mind? Strength training is not something you can rush into blindfolded. Here are a few additional things to keep in mind.
1. Never ignore the warm up session: Be through with your stretches – it will prepare your body for workout. It is important to do this as it will prevent exercise injuries that you could run into.
2. Watch your breath: While working out, give extra attention to your breath. Doing this is very important as it gives you maximum benefit from your workout.
3. Exercise smoothly: Never do strength-training with jerks. Your raises/ form should be very uniform and smooth. Also remember to take breaks between sets.
4.Do not overdo it: Always use weights which you can handle comfortably. It is good to push yourself to point of fatigue but make sure you don’t overstress yourself.
5. Increase gradually: Once you reach a certain level of comfort and are able to do all your repetitions smoothly, you can increase the weights by 3-5 pounds.
6. Nail that form: Focus on getting the form right from day 1. Right form will ensure maximum returns from all the effort that goes in. Make your sweat count!
7. Eat right: We don’t need to tell you this one, do we? You’re probably spending hard earned money at a gym, and straining every fiber in your body to haul those weights. Don’t wash it all away with junk food. Eat smart, and feed those muscles.